Monumental Gains Realized with 3D Transformation
With the help of a seasoned WORLD OF MESH team member, a leading global sportswear brand transforms one of their business groups from a traditional 2D work setting into a cutting-edge, end-to-end 3D design environment.
The two-year project paved the way for the sportswear brand to extend new 3D processes and technologies to the rest of the company.
In a typical 2D environment, process and technology challenges persist. This limits organizations from realizing sustainability gains, and company and team performance benefits. For example, waste is inevitable in fashion apparel companies. As cross-functional project stakeholders review physical designs, feedback is often slow to emerge and varies in degree. Six rounds or more of physical fashion samples may be required to accommodate input and finalize designs. The global process, where team members may receive the first few product samples through standard mail, accounts for at least two weeks in the product schedule. Project stakeholders often travel to global locations to accelerate the feedback cycle, adding cost to the bottom line. Organizations do plan for budget overages, schedule lags and frustration, but they are not optimal outcomes.
3D Digital design transformation to the rescue!
In our sportswear brand example, the WORLD OF MESH member joined the sportswear brand team to disrupt business in a positive way. The collaborative team used resources to research, learn and test 3D software solutions; define new processes, workflows and infrastructures; develop unique software applications for new business operations; and train employees on 3D technology to ensure improvements would exist beyond project implementation. The collaborative team also scoped out asset requirements needed for future 3D project rollouts.
The digital transformation proved to company leadership that 3D transformation is possible, and significant competitive advantages can be realized. Leadership took the team’s process and learning-rich blueprint to later implement the innovations to additional business groups.
The entire transformation produced expansive results. Below provides a snapshot of project success where collaborative efforts and WORLD OF MESH member’s responsibilities are noted.
- The WORLD OF MESH member supported the brand to develop new processes using cutting-edge 3D presentation software. Processes featured more creative and engaging designs and immersive customer experiences.
- The WORLD OF MESH member implemented 3D transformation from pattern development to consumer delivery training 62 employees including designers, developers, pattern makers and directors. Global markets including the U.S., China and Europe also realize business operations and gains.
- The WORLD OF MESH member delivered 39 menswear products and 126 colorways for an upcoming seasonal collection; and delivered stills, turntables, key look visuals and animations to support the seasonal collection.
- In the 2D workflow, team members required on average six prototypes. In the new 3D world, prototypes were no longer needed as new designs were displayed virtually. Reducing the number of samples needed in a collection resulted in reduced budget, cycle time and C02 footprint.
- Having virtual samples available early in the 3D design process enabled virtual fittings to occur, creating faster, more flexible and efficient ‘start to finish’ processes. Efficiencies were attained in pattern, development, scheduling, manufacturing and more.
- Sharing digital 3D designs enabled improved communication and more adept design reviews between marketing, design, development, manufacturing, and global members and partners. Reduced physical sample shipping costs and team travel costs were also realized with virtual sharing.
- Cross-functional teams were able to experiment with augmented, virtual and mixed reality, reinforcing what is yet to be fully realized in fashion.